Are you planning on hosting a summer bbq or gathering this year? Whether it’s a 4th of July party, birthday party, or simple get-together, try incorporating these simple tips to make your outdoor event a hit!
1. Keep it Cool: Your guests won’t last long outside in Atlanta’s summer heat. Patio umbrellas and shade canopies, as well as misting/oscillating fans, are simple ways to provide ‘escapes’ from the bright sun and high temperatures. And of course, keep plenty of cold drinks and ice on hand!
2. Keep it Bug Free: Consider having your yard sprayed for mosquitoes to keep your guests safe from those pesky bugs. If you prefer to keep your yard pesticide-free, invest in natural candles and offer guests repellents to keep the mosquitoes away.
3. Simple Foods: Heavy dishes can be difficult for guests to manage while socializing at a backyard party. Offer finger foods or simple main dishes instead (such as burgers and hot dogs) so your friends can socialize and eat easily. And a serve-yourself drink station will allow you to enjoy yourself more as well!
4. Fun & Games: Some extra entertainment for your guests is a great way to liven the atmosphere. Cornhole, bocce ball, volleyball, and badminton are easy (and inexpensive) games everyone can partake in. If kids will be attending, provide some simple outdoor toys like balls, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and even a sprinkler or baby pool.
5. Have a Back Up Plan: And as always, planning an outdoor event comes with the risk of rain. If your home cannot accommodate everyone inside, you will need to secure a backup indoor location or plan for a rain date.